Fiction Plane: Buckle Up, Flyers

—by , February 24, 2009

Fiction Plane is famous for their single “It’s A Lie” and its Risky Business-influenced video, complete with the famous dancing scene. They’ve played their U2-like alt-rock all around the world. Plus, their singer/bassist Joe Sumner is the son of Gordon Sumner. You don’t recall that name? Well, he is also known as Sting. Seton Daunt on guitar and Indiana native Pete Wilhoit on drums complete this British alt-rock trio who’ll be playing at Arlene’s Grocery on Feb. 27 at 7 p.m.

Though they have toured with The Police and Sting on several occasions, Fiction Plane is famous in their own right. They’ve been on tour with bands from all over the music spectrum including 311, Snoop Dogg, and The Bravery. Sumner is a huge Nirvana fan so it’s no surprise that most of Sumner’s songs are broody and full of discontent (for example, “I Wish I Were Dead”). However, those lyrics and Sumner’s voice (which when he whines is strikingly like that of his father’s) are coupled with upbeat drumming and rocking guitar riffs. This groove is heard in their 2007 album, Left Side Of The Brain. With it came the charming single “Two Sisters” about one man who can’t choose between the two sisters that he’s sleeping with and is consequently in love with. How adorable. Anyway, they have not performed a headline show in NYC since Nov. 2007 so who knows when Fiction Plane will land in the area again?

Arlene’s Grocery is at 95 Stanton Street, NYC. Tickets are $10 and it’s only a walk-up event. For more info, go to myspace.com/fictionplane.

reader responses
  1. Shoot! I’m so bummed I will not be in town to see this show! This band sounds even better than they look and they are hawt!

Kitty on 2/25/2009 at 10:11 PM

2. Fiction Plane ROCKS! Those that are in NYC need to check them out! I’ve seen many of their live shows and its always a great time!!

Lizbeth Montana on 2/25/2009 at 09:56 PM

3. People better jump on this while they have the chance. We’re just lucky they are doing this one off while working on the next record.

Kelly on 2/25/2009 at 09:37 PM

4. I can’t wait to see this show on Friday! Fiction Plane puts on an amazing live show so those who go will not be disappointed!

Michelle on 2/25/2009 at 08:09 PM

5. Fiction Plane is the best live act I have seen. So much energy packed into their set! Sadly, I live on the other coast, but I am hoping they have a great turnout at Arlene’s Grocery.

jen on 2/25/2009 at 07:06 PM

6. This is awesome! I can’t wait for this show. Fiction Plane is one of the last truly kick-ass live bands! If you aren’t there, I honestly feel sorry for you.

Notrom on 2/25/2009 at 06:18 PM

7. You better get out there early. You have to see Fiction Plane live. This band is incredible.

Jackie on 2/25/2009 at 06:14 PM

8. Fiction Plane back on US soil! Hooray! These guys pack a punch in their live shows. They never disappoint. If you’re ready for some great rock music this band has got you covered. Arlene’s will be PACKED on Friday!!

Nicole on 2/25/2009 at 05:55 PM

Site designed by Subjective Designs | Powered by WordPress | Content © 1969-2016 Arts Weekly, Inc. All Rights Reserved.