Bebe Buell: Sugar

Bebe Buell

Sugar

Musesque

A

11-18-Discs-BebeBuell-SugarThe first studio offering in 10 years sees Bebe Buell back and better than ever. Her 12-song disc takes me back to the days of Max’s Kansas City and Gildersleeves. There’s even a nod to Joey Ramone (Black Angel) and a Johnny Thunders tune here. And while many incorrectly think that Buell was best known as a jet setting playmate, her musical history shows her playing with the most influential bands of the day. Those punk rock big boys taught her invaluable writing secrets that she’s carried into her current style.

The overall feel of the CD is New York street tough with an ‘80s revivalist edge. Produced by Twinomatick’s Jim Wallerstein from Das Damen (whose EP was released by Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore) as well as Bobby Rae—also well versed in trade (Spear Of Destiny, Killing Joke’s Raven and others), the disc flirts with everything from down and dirty punk to the techno tinged title track. Buell’s dusky voice is well suited and comfortable within these tracks, telling a story and keeping the listener drawn in fast.

Outstanding mention goes to the song “When We Were Godhead,” a composition with the catchiest intro piece of the year, launching Buell into her introspective story of the days of the bona fide rock and roll kings and queens.

This CD is the real deal by a genuine prodigy of punk rock pioneers. Sugar takes chances and stands out bold in an industry that sorely needs to return to the rock and roll direction that I’ve heard here today.

In A Word: Classic

—by , November 19, 2009

reader responses
  1. I’m going to be fair- the record is really unique. Its not for everyone but neither is any interesting, complex artist.
    It never fails though- every single time Bebe gets props- a great review or a favorable mention, the same couple of windbags jump in in almost predictable fashion. And they say the same exact thing each time.
    What does that say to me? What does that prove to me, as a fan of Bebe’s? It seals in solid rock that she is a talented, insightful woman.
    Someone that makes the haters nuts! That’s called “star quality”.

Jeffrey on 7/26/2010 at 07:10 PM

2. ALSO JUST READ THAT HATING STATEMENT FRM OC.THE OTHER OPTION IS ,U JUST DONT GET IT@OTHERS DO..THATS MUSIC@NO REASON TO PUT OTHER ARTISTS DOWN..IM= AM GLAD THAT ARTISTS TAKE CHANCES@BRIDGE NEW GROUND.I THINK THATS WHAT BEBE@BAND ARE DOING.ALSO J.P IS A GREAT WRITER WHO HAS SEEN MORE BANDS THAT ANY OF US@I THINK HE KNOWS WHATS UP..

B on 7/8/2010 at 04:45 PM

3. ALSO HEARD A REMIX OF SUGAR ON THE RADIO IN JERSEY JUST YESTERDAY@IT KICKED A**.ALSO,WHEN DID THE EASTCOAST BECOME THE HOTBED OF HATING ITS OWN MUSICIANS.HER BAND HAS ONE OF THE BEST DRM@BASS DUOS IN ROCK..GREAT TUNES GREAT BAND..KEEP ROCKIN IT..

B on 7/8/2010 at 04:40 PM

4. GROW UP.THE DISC IS AMAZING@FORWARD THINKING.ALSO IF YOU WRITE BETTER MUSIC PLEASE SEND US ALL YOUR LINK.THE SONGS ARE SO COOL IN THAT THEY ROCK,BUT SOUND DARK@GOTHIC .THEY HAVE GREAT GROOVES@HUGE HOOKS.IVE SEEN MANY PEOPLE TALK TRAS.BUT NOT MANY THAT MAKE THIS KIND OF FORWARD THINKING MUSIC.THIS C.D IS A REVELATION..THNKS FOR THE MUSIC!!

B on 7/8/2010 at 04:35 PM

5. Bebe Buell is an old groupie, who’s even heard of her music?

OC on 3/25/2010 at 10:58 PM

6. I agree. I looked for her album after I read this story, and it’s absolutely horrible. I just could not identify what type of music this is and I’m a very versatile guy. It’s definitely not rock’n’roll, and her vocals are horrendous.

It’s very common for an outlet to praise an artist just because they got the chance to talk to them and they were actually nice. Must be what happened here, there’s no other option.

Glen on 3/14/2010 at 12:50 AM

7. You guys must be joking!!! Bebe Buell was never a singer! This is the worst piece of crap I have EVER heard and it doesn’t even sound like music! MY GOD, WHAT A NIGHTMARE!! I can’t believe I actually searched for this shitty music!!!!

Nicole Ally on 3/10/2010 at 07:15 PM

8. I have to say I am not crazy about Bebe’s stuff. That’s what I thought for long time. I was dragged to her show back in June w/ a good friend from out of town and was not happy about it. I sulked and was just generally being a brat.
    Bebe took the stage and all of a sudden something made me feel joy. I started smiling. She made me feel strong and I had the time of my life. Like everyone else there, I did not want it to end.
    Here’s the bottom line. There will always be better singers, those who sell a lot more records and CDs, those that are younger, skinnier… but I doubt you will find anyone more real and raw rocking as Bebe Buell. You love her songs right away. You find yourself singing along with abandon.
    I was feeling like a miserable b***c before that show.
    She put me in my place. In a few words- she kicked my butt! And I liked it.

Jill V. Keeney on 11/22/2009 at 11:49 AM

9. Bebe Buell is finally getting the respect and adoration she so deserves!!! This album is a classic and it may take some time but will be remembered as such.
    Don’t miss her live. You think this record is good, you haven’t seen anything until you’ve seen her onstage.

Real Rad on 11/20/2009 at 12:41 PM

10. I listen to this album way too much and haven’t ejected it from my player yet! Stevie Nicks was the last artist i listened to this often.

10 out the 12 songs will go into my iPod on heavy rotation. This is one mighty album!

Susan Ant on 11/19/2009 at 09:49 PM

11. Trackbacks
  12. Bebe buell | Entertainment4Cash

Site designed by Subjective Designs | Powered by WordPress | Content © 1969-2016 Arts Weekly, Inc. All Rights Reserved.